Monday, October 6, 2014

Conversation Starters

Being raised by huge movie buffs, I have always had a special place in my heart for movies. My family and I would have at least 2-3 movie nights a week together. 

Because of this, I have been able to quote the entirety of: So I Married an Axe Murderer, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, Tommy Boy, Hook, Mrs. Doubtfire... The list goes on and on. Most of our family conversations are completely made up of film quotes. But the movies we watched also encouraged some meaningful, not just "silly," talks around the dinner table.

My fondest memories usually revolve around watching movies. Even in movie theaters with complete strangers. For a brief couple of hours you are all on the same adventure together. And that doesn't happen often enough. 

Movies are a sly, tricky animal. They lure us in with the illusion of entertainment. Then BOOM! They whack us upside the head with issues going on in the real world. We went in wanting to forget our woes or stresses of the outside world, and films gave us new ways to assess and go about solving our problems. 

It may sound corny or cheesy... But the real movie magic is seeing how a film will affect its viewers and how much conversation the subject matter can inspire. I feel like that is one of the main reasons why we still make and watch films. 

No comments:

Post a Comment